These university dormitories and student facilities were designed by Giancarlo De Carlo and built between 1962 and 1983 on a hill called “Cappuccini”. The earliest building in the complex is the “Collegio del Colle”, built between 1962 and 1966. Areas are distributed in clusters including common areas for students and private dorm rooms arranged in a terraced fashion along the hillside.
In 1973, De Carlo was commissioned to expand the complex. He designed three new student housing facilities, the “Collegio del Tridente”, “Collegio dell’Aquilone”, and “Collegio della Vela”, thus creating Urbino’s University Campus.
The 13th century church was radically transformed during the 18th century. In 1850 the building housed an orphanage and also included a school for the arts and trades. In the 1970s, the structure was modified according to a project by architect Giancarlo De Carlo to be used by the University’s Faculty of Law. Along with the renovation of pre-existing structures, new areas were added to suit academic purposes and a garden was added at the main entrance.
FORMER “S. MARIA DELLA BELLA ” CONVENT – UNIVERSITY FACILITIES
The old convent of S. Maria della Bella and its church were closed in the mid-19th century and transformed into an orphanage for girls. Between 1968 and 1976, the complex was modified according to a project by Giancarlo De Carlo to house the Faculty of Education and Teaching. The reconstruction preserved the façade of the 18th century church, along with the external walls of the old buildings, while more recent additions were eliminated. Numerous classrooms, offices, and a main lecture hall (aula magna) that can be used in its entirety or divided into smaller lecture halls were created inside the building. It is characterized by glass skylights and panels that allow natural lighting in much of the building.
PALAZZO BONAVENTURA – UNIVERSITY FACILITIES
The gothic portal (made of locally excavated pietra del Furlo) and the coat of arms of Count Antonio da Montefeltro and his spouse bear testimony to the fact that this building was the ancestral home of the Signori di Urbino. They lived here from the 14th century until they moved to the Palazzetto della Jole, the original core of the present-day Ducal Palace. In 1466, Federico da Montefeltro passed it on to the Bonaventura Family. In the mid-16th century they hosted Torquato Tasso, a friend of the family. In the 17th century, the residence was modified according to a project by architect Muzio Oddi. In 1834 the “Pontificia Università degli Studi di Urbino” purchased the palazzo and made further changes. The building was restructured and restored in the 1950s by architect Giancarlo De Carlo and became the headquarters of the University of Urbino “Carlo Bo”.
PALAZZO BRANDANI BATTIFERRI – UNIVERSITY FACILITIES
The Palazzo dates back to 1560, when the Brandani Family had it built on land where there were already homes. In the mid-17th century, the building was sold to the Monache di S. Benedetto, who incorporated the building into their convent complex. The building was restructured by architect Giancarlo De Carlo in the 1980s to house the Faculty of Economics. The old areas of the building were preserved and connected with one another by modern structures. Large new areas were created under what was once a roof garden. Some of the original walls of the old building found during construction work supervised by Giancarlo De Carlo can be observed in the garden.
From North: A14 Toll-Road, Pesaro-Urbino exit, take the S.P. 423 and drive for about 40 minutes. –
From South-East (Ancona): A14 Toll-Road, Fano exit, take the E78 Highway towards Rome-Urbino and then SS3 and SS73 to Urbino.
From South-West (Rome): A1 Toll-Road to Orte, then take the E45-SS3 bis to Umbertide. Continue along the SS3 towards Urbino-Rome, then take the E78-SS73 to Urbino.
From West: take the E45 too San Giustino, then SS73 bis (Passo di Bocca Trabaria) to Urbania, continue along the the SS73 bis for 16 km to get to Urbino.
Get off at Pesaro railway station and then take Line 46 bus to reach Urbino
The nearest airports are Falconara (Ancona), Rimini and Bologna. To reach Urbino take the train to Pesaro station and then the 46 Line bus.
Contact Booking Urbino
|How long||10 km|
|Duration||30” by car|
|Start point||Urbino PU|
|Stop point||Urbino PU|